View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
I don't want to start an argument here or anything but I have noticed that many people who dislike the N900 was because of the "lack of apps" - now I can understand if they were only downloading from the Ovi Store (which I think we all can agree is a joke - it should be renamed to the Ovi Pum and Pop Store). But if you enable repos like maemo.org, -testing, -dev then there's more than enough Apps to choose from.

On my N900 for games I have; Angry Birds, Asphalt5, Jurassic Coaster 3D, Descent, DRIVER, SNES Emulator, Duke Nukem 3D, Giant Fighting Robots, Hexen 2, NES emulator, Jagged Alliance, Kroll, N64 Emulator, Need for Speed, Numpty Physics, Oregon Trail, PS2 Emulator, Doom, Quake 2, Quake 3, Lamar Research Flight Simulators, Starcraft, Warcraft II, TuxRace, Wallenstein 3D (I left out the boring ones like chess)

I also have 2 dictionary applications, 2 translator applications, and as stellerium program for references.

As for graphics, I can view RAR photos, I have numerous excellent image editors (including GIMP), and even the pressure sensitive mypaint.

I have numerous navigation programs, and if I want to use Google maps I just go to the Google maps web site.

I find the camera to be great for a cell phone, and I also have 2 panoramic photo applications (one was free). With FCam it is very easy for me to adjust the camera settings.

Network options are ridiculous; VNC servers and (numerous) clients, Google Chrome, Firefox, Iceweasel, Macuco, Opera, Pidgin, 2 BitTorrent clients, the list can go on and on.

For office type applications I have K Office, Open Office, PFD editor and reader, AbiWord, Gnumeric for spreadsheets, I can't think of anything more I would need.

I have so many system info apps and other utilities it is crazy!

And on top of that I have DOSBox, BlueMaemo, and Debian LXDE? And if that's not enough I can dual boot into (admittedly) slower version of NITDroid.

I don't understand what more someone would want... can anyone explain?
I'm mostly worried about rootfs space. I don't have games (though I have heard about tuxfootball, Peqersi, and some others), and I would like to remove default built-in games. The only app from Ovi Store is Nokia Panorama, and it's quite good.
I have QStarDict (what's your second dictionary application?), though I need more dictionaries (not a problem), and no special translators.
I have Stellarium and Orrery.
I don't have any image-editing applications besides the default. I know, default PhotoEditing and Sketch are pathetic. But PenPen is mostly for hurried note-taking, and MyPaint is too complex with its choice of brushes, and ImageMagic isn't touch-friendly at all, it has potential, but no usable user interface. And I don't use EasyDebian.
Navigation programs: ModRana.
Camera: default (not bad), Nokia Panorama (not bad, but sometimes annoying), _no_FCam_ (have heard too much about (un)installation problems and conflicts), mbarcode.
Browsers: Fennec, MicroB, Google Chrome, no Opera.
Office type applications: mostly not needed, use Leafpad and have Vim.
Also Filebox, Copernicium, QtOctave, QRadio, VU Meter. And others.
Just too many apps. They should be optified better.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: