Thread: Jolla Tablet
View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
At least where I live, using 3G/4G for net access is outrageously expensive, if it even exists
Yeah, man, that sux. I was in a similar situation with my provider, the one I used for about 15 years. But then I ackquired my first N9 and needed a micro-SIM card. Where do I get one? I cannot use my regular SIM just to try in the N9 because I would need to cut it and then it would not go back in my N900. This is when I remembered that my first N900, bought second-hand on eBay, came with an unused pre-paid SIM. Still in its credit-card-style frame, glued to the box lid. So I popped it out, cut to micro size, popped it in the N9 and, to my great surprise, it worked! To my even bigger amazement, it turned out to be an unbelievably good deal. The coverage it quite good too. I only get 3G in the suburbia where I live, but 4G in quite a lot of places nearby.

Since then I moved it to my Jolla, which I currently use as a tablet. The "phone" is just the right size for a tablet IMO. I topped up the credit only once, in March 2014, with £10. I started using it quite extensively in September when I acquired my Jolla. I just checked my remaining balance and it was £7.14. It was over £8 last week but I drove around a lot with modRana running and downlaoding maps as I went.

And the best part? The SIM is totally anonymous. The previous owner of the N900 it came with has never registered it and of course neither have I. In the worst case, I can always chuck it in the bin and get a new one from a pound shop. They are all over the place.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: