View Single Post
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Regarding the credit card issue: the larger question is, why SHOULD one be required? There ARE alternate means of payment (e.g., Paypal) after all. I think his complaint is legitimate.
True, however I think the thinking behind the credit card would be a combination of age verification and payment guarantee. Though I clearly can't confirm that. However upon thinking about it, i'm pretty surprised on the need to create an iTunes account to USE the iPod thing. I've been through two of them and never had that requirement. Perhaps it's a touch thing.

Originally Posted by speculatrix
since I'm on a roll with b1tch1ng, I figured I'd also complain that the device, which is brand new, wasn't up to date with firmware already, but of course it'll cost GB£6 (US$10 ?)

unlike TomTom who promise that brand new devices will get latest map upgrade within 30 days, there's no such mercy with Apple iPod touch. So, I had to, er, find an alternative update process ;-)
You'll note that with the Tom Tom you're paying for map updates, not OS updates (per your text), the iPod Touch update is for the OS and under the accounting rules that Apple uses apparently they are required to charge for changing that actual product. Not a lawyer or accountant so I can't speak to the specifics of the law.