Thread: Amazon Kindle
View Single Post
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
As for me, I'd like to see the Kindle (or a similar e-ink device) in schools where books, lectures, and papers are all in electronic format and contained in one device.
I think that kind of depends. For one, I think at the elementary level (5yrs - 11yrs old), that actual books might be better. Not sure if the middle school/jr. high school level would fit here as well (11-13/14 years old).

At the high school level, then it might make sense. And definitely at the college level (where it could dramatically reduce the tons of books some people have to carry).

But ... I think ultimately, even at the college level, I would have wanted to have both an ebook reader AND some of my books on paper. For example, having a book I can read and physical mark up and take physical notes upon would have been essential for some classes. But then having that same book on an e-reader for reference, for reading on the fly, etc. would have been rather useful and convenient as well.

And I say that even if there's a way to do highlighting and notations in the e-reader... I would still want to have a physical page for doing some of that. Probably about 1 in 10 of my books would have needed to be physical, but my point is: 1 in 10 would have needed to be physical books.

So, having 100% of my books on e-ink, and 10% of my books in hand ... then the ability to highlight and mark the physical book ... and then transcribe those physical notes and highlights to my ebook (or, for the books I don't have physical copies of, taking direct notes and highlights on the ebook) ... that would indeed have been quite useful.