View Single Post
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
You're making assumptions. That has not yet been determined.
Well.. In one of the many (yes, I know it's hard to find, as there is so many) threads about this exact same thing.. two well respected members of the community (GeneralAntilles being one) said that at the Barcelona Maemo Summit a Nokia Vice President of one of the departments over the Mobile section said, quite specifically in no unclear terms, that the N900 will not be getting M6.

And to someone else, I have found no where that Qgil said that M6 was possible for the N900... what I have seem him say is that we should wait until the SDK release, or at least more information, about M6 before we speculate what will or won't happen with the N900.

I will be surprised if the N900 receives M6 when a VP said that it would not (and I'm not inclined to disbelieve the General) - however, that doesn't mean that Nokia hasn't planned, or isn't working on some way to combine the two, or make M5 continue to be usable and unique past the M6 release.

At this point, we simply don't know what the future holds for the N900.

Also, to the OP regarding "history"... The N770 came with OS2005 and was then upgraded to OS2006. The N800 shipped with OS2007, and while the 770 wasn't supported, Nokia did create a OS2007HE which was basically OS2007 for the 770. Thus the 770 got 3 full OS upgrades.

Now the N800 had OS2007 out the door, and when the N810 hit the market it had OS2008. The N800 got the update to OS2008 as well... and then both the N810 and N800 got the minor update to Diablo.

So.. looking at the "history"... the 770 got 2 supported, 1 unsupported OS upgrades, the 800 got 2 + a minor, and N810 got a minor.

Now.. the trend does seem to be going in the wrong direction.. but at the same time it's not exactly unheard of for Nokia's "tablets" to be receiving OS upgrades.

This thread, and others like it, are mostly pointless at this time. Nokia is guaranteed to have already heard the screams of others, myself included, in one of the other M6 to N900 threads on this forum.

Quim asked us to wait.. I don't see why that's such a big problem. If lack of N900 upgrades is enough to make you not want an N900... then wait for the m6, or buy an Android. If the N900 does everything you want it to now... then there isn't a problem here. There will always be something better right around the corner.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post: