Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Hi Rinigus,

thanks for your wonderful work on Pure Maps and OSM Scout server application!

Coming back from a 500 km road trip by bike along the baltic sea I used Pure Maps for navigation in three major scenarios:

- I am lost: Which junction brings me back on track?
- Where is my accomodation located and route me there quickly
- Show me nearest POIs for supermarkets and drug stores to fill up water bottles or buy sun cream

The offline OSM maps and search functions where a bliss to use and got me quickly to the location I wanted. However one thing that should be improved is to use the build-in magnetic compass rather than using the GPS heading to rotate the map. In my use case I often turned on my Xperia X just to check if I had to choose the left or right junction while standing still. The matter is that while standing still the auto-rotation of the map is not working since GPS needs you to move to detect your heading so I turned it off. Therefor I did it the old classical scout way launching orienteering compass application to find out where North is. Then I switch back to Pure Maps, change my heading to point to North so that map and orientation aligns and choose where to go. It would be real helpful if the auto-rotation would use the magnetic compass sensor to rotate the map if your velocity is 0 (standing still) so that the need of a seconds compass application is not needed.

Otherwise it was a great experience and gave me a good feeling of never beeing lost!
A donation has just been submitted via Pay Pal.

Cheers and keep up your good work!
Nek

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nekron For This Useful Post: