View Single Post
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Kabouik and Wicket, thank you for both of your posts, I wish I could thank you twice! Lots of good points in there.

Chen, I think a lot of this depends on the price point.

If the price point is high, the device has to last a really long time and therefore relying on an Android kernel that will become outdated/unsupported quite quickly becomes a problem. In this situation, a chip with mainline Linux kernel support would be very important.

If the price is lower then people are more likely to buy this device and then replace it with your next product (!) in a few years, so a fixed kernel is less of a problem. If you ship it with Android (LineageOS preferably) and good libhybris support is available (polished community port of SailfishOS) then it would enable other mobile OSes to be ported too (many of them use libhybris) and the community could work on something like sfdroid for Android support.

Have you spoken to Jolla about this, and are you free (contractually) to discuss how much official SFOS support could cost? Presumably this depends on what is included - would be interesting to know what the cost of the following items is:
  • providing "perfect" libhybris support
  • licenses for proprietary libs xt9 and exchange
  • aliendalvik

I expect aliendalvik makes up the biggest chunk of the cost, since it's a big chunk of development work.

Even though I got stung on the Neo900, I'm highly likely to back this project. Careful with polls - you'll probably pick up some noise from people who have no intention of putting their money where their mouth is!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post: