Thread: [SailfishOS] WhoGo Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
First of all, as said before, your contribution has been very welcome, filling a gap in the sailfish offer, at a level I wouldn't have thought possible for a two mens project (otsaloma and rinigus, or I am missing someone else ? MartinK maybe ?). Thanks !

Now for the constructive comments:
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
That's the positioning accuracy. Maybe I could try adding a diameter symbol "⌀" there? I know many map apps render a circle around the position icon and that would be possible now with Mapbox GL, but I don't like covering the map with such pulsating junk, it makes looking at maps indoors unpleasant.
There are several use-cases of the application which could need different information. A "one size fits all" maps may not be the best solution for this, and I have seen several gps system having a dedicated "drive" view.
On Here Maps for symbian for example, they even made it two separate applications (maps and navigation), but I obviously wouldn't recommend that solution.

Anyway, I can see the following usages:
  • "I'm lost" : need maps of surroundings, maybe nearby POI (looking for a pub to buy you a beer for example ). Scale of the map and GPS accuracy are key data here.
  • "Looking for some place elsewhere" : kind of the same usage than above, but GPS fix doesn't matter, it could has well be off.
  • "Planning a trip" : Must be able to see the full route and be able to zoom on specific parts. If the routing engine can provide several paths, be able to show them and select one
  • "Driving" : Attention must be focused on the road, so that the data shown must be easy to read at a glance. For example, showing accuracy doesn't matter much in that case, GPS either has a fix or doesn't, if accuracy is too large to place you on the good road, then you wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Scale also is not needed, it is always the same and what you expect while driving. What I found as main information provided by usual navigation systems are, except the map itself, current speed, next action (big icons like today are great for that!), distance to next action, remaining time to destination, remaining distance to destination, estimated hour of arrival. HereMaps for Symbian allowed to choose one of those last three as showing all would be two much. Details of the next action like its road name are usually not easy to spot while driving, but in some case like big city directions on highway does help, not sure how to handle those...
  • "Walking" : there may be different information needed compared to driving, and you may have a bit more attention to the screen than when in a car

There is not a need of one view for each of those use cases, but the driving one seems different enough to justify its own. For example, fitting to Sailfish design guideline when driving shouldn't be a requirement as having a nice high contrast black on white display of the remaining time would be a lot easier to spot quickly.

The difference between my N8 with its good AMOLED screen and black/white theme with big fat text on HereMap and my Jolla1 with its less clear screen (to be fair, I hadn't pushed up the luminosity in my tests...) with sailfish themed smaller text helps reducing the time needed to check the directions, which is important when driving to keep eyes on the road.

As it seems to be only QML to change for this, and only changes on a cosmetic level, as all is already there, I will try to tinker it a bit and come back with a proposition of what I could see as a dedicated driving view. I'll let you know if I come up with something that could be good enough to be discussed here and see others thoughts on this.

Once again, I really like what you have done !

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post: