View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'm not absolutely sure that ANYTHING is a very good thing in the end, if taken to extremes.
Fixed that for you!

amassing any kind of fortune is most likely based on theft and extortion so it would even out it a bit for the state to take it in possession as taxes.
That depends on who "the state" is in this context.
If "the state" is a community of people then you're totally right, but if it's just some bureaucratic entity then it doesn't change anything.

If the biggest land owner in a village dies and his children can't take over, then it's totally fair to redistribute his fields to his farming neighbors.
On the other hand, if the local government just sits on the land and waits for some rich external investor to polish the mayor's budget, then it doesn't improve the situation.

It would benefit the kids too, in the end, as they'd not grow up to be slothy worhless billionares but be encouraged to get real jobs and contribute to the society.
I'd be totally fine with being a slothy worthless bilionaire, because I could still decide to contribute to the society whenever I wanted. On he other hand, my real job does not allow me the decision to be a slothy worthless billionaire from now on.

These kinds of comparisons always have the same flaw: The compared options are not mutually exclusive.
"I'd rather have brains than pretty looks." The pretty guy (or gal) can still have brains.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: