View Single Post
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
I like this thread. I am with pichlo about trustworthiness. But in the end I have to choose the least bad which is in my opinion Open Source. I think, that your maldoing in the code can be found and it can be traced to your account sets the bar higher for someone trying to harm. Yes, there is the KTH (which I find an interesting article, thx @juiceme) but since this applies to any system it can be disregarded for choosing between known alternatives. It can't be disregarded when discussion trustworthiness, to make that clear.

As for the original post: I am still using Win7 for work (a switch to Win10 is already in testing stage) and for private. This is because my PC from 2009 is still running and running... If I need to configure a new machine, it will be Linux with a VM for some older software I have to use or older games I like to play. Most tasks do not need Windows anymore. My whole softwarestack has changed in the last couple of years. Nowadays I use software available on both platforms.

Also I have a laptop but that is very substandard and not capable of running VMs. I bought it to perform my linux tasks like maintenance of e.g. the desktop PC of my father in law or fixing my J1 It's nice for that, pre-installed Win7 was removed straight away.

Talking of my father in law: when I bought him a laptop some years ago I made sure, he used firefox thunderbird and libreoffice. So when a new machine had to be bought, I got him a nice silent desktop box running ubuntu out of the box (Solo Nanum SE22). This will be the road to go for me to, except I like to build my own machine. Not for security reasons but for the fun! And I get to choose the parts, all of them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post: