View Single Post
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
This way, IMO, many times people with least approval from Community - i.e. last in order of preference - end up taking positions only because we have low amount of candidates.
You show your ignorance again. FT STV works fine in elections with a low number of candidates.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Honestly, I'm not very surprised, that you're defending it's usage - after all, during last Council election, you and Niel were approved for Council only, due to FT STV usage (mixed with messed up statute) - using optimal voting mechanism (for such low number of candidates), we would end up with 3 people Council, as both of you were "least preferred" ones.
Wrong. The method of voting has nothing to do with how many candidates are elected. There were 7 nominees, of which 5 were to be chosen. Even if your proposed "one-vote" system were used that cycle, the results would have been exactly the same.

Want proof? Look at the results page. You see that first line? That's the tally of everyones first vote only, the exact result you would have gotten had you used the single-vote method you are championing. From that, the top five choices would have been chosen, which corresponds exactly to who won in the end.

If you're going to lie about things, you should check your facts first.

The only way there would have been only 3 elected to Council because of the number of votes is if 4 of the candidates had gotten 0 votes. Further, single-vote raises the issue of what to do if two or more candidates spanning 5th/6th place had exactly the same number of votes. That would require some form of tie-breaking mechanism, which FT STV has build in.

But please, keep speaking as if you know everything about this, when you clearly don't even know the basics...

Edit: And frankly, I fear for where we would be now had it just been you three, instead of the five. Based on your conduct as Chair, and after, I think we'd be in a much worse spot now.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-10-29 at 21:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: