View Single Post
Sorry but no.
What you wrote is just as vague.
Tell me:
What is "mainline Linux"? The current kernel?
When a phone is "mainline Linux compatible", what does that entail? That the kernel can be made to boot? That the kernel can access all the hardware? That there's a full graphical UI that can also access all the hardware? - These three steps are increasingly strict and afaik currently nothing goes all the way to the third step. Maemo Leste is working on it but still pretty far away.
Would you add all the hardware that can currently boot Maemo Leste to OP's list?

And what is an "Open source OS compatible phone"?
A phone that can run an open source OS? AOSP is open source. Does that mean all Android devices then?
Are we allowed to add firmware blobs? LineageOS does exactly that. Again, that would add a huge pile of devices nobody's interested in listing here.

I could go on for hours.

This is a pet peeve of mine.

What people usually mean when they write something like "FOSS phone" is some sort of "independent" phone, made in small batches, crowdfunded, often making exactly those sort of vague promises about Linux & FOSS & "a wonderful community".
Upon closer inspection they are in no way "better" or "more FOSS" than your average Android device, or Intel laptop, only: this sort of credulity in buzzwords makes it possible for some companies to draw profit from making statements that are just shy of false claims.
It also produces disappointment in those that "believed" in those big words.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against these attempts at all, and I am not against OP making a list.
I just don't like if someone uses a strictly defined term for something so vague.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post: