Thread: Upgrade?
View Single Post
Thanks for looking into it. As far as I'm concerned, a mobile skin for the forums only would do just fine.

I looked at the gtplanet link you posted. It seems a bit more functional than the current PDA skin on ITT, but unless I'm missing something I believe it still suffers from the same major drawbacks, mostly :

- a totally broken "search results" display, which can be seen on "today's posts" (and I suppose on the equivalent "new posts", when logged in). These are probably the most useful functions for a regular/frequent reader of a forum, but here the post titles are wrapped at about 15 chars wide, which is ridiculous on a screen like the 770's.

- a broken topics list display (in search or regular modes) : there is no link to the first unread post for each thread, which is a total pain. No indication of number of posts, or links to pages...

- a broken thread display : no width reformatting (!), huge page lengths, and not even a timestamps for each post...

I've mentioned this reference before, but compare this with the mobile version of this other vBulletin site, http://www.pdafrance.com/pdaforum/?styleid=12 :

- forum lists have a colored pictogram to indicate those with new posts in them,

- topic lists have a pictogram to indicate those with new posts in them, that also acts as a link to the first unread one. There are also page lists/links and the timestamp/name of last post.

- thread display has a skin-specific formatting and pagination, retaining basic post information like timestamps etc.

This is done with a very few tiny gifs, is just as lightweight and fast as plain text, and very pleasant and effective to use. For those who may have problems accessing the site (or with French :-), I am attaching small screenshots of the three examples cited above.

Thanks,
fp
Attached Images

Last edited by fpp; 2007-01-03 at 21:40.