View Single Post
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by RobertMe View Post
Actually there aren't that many differences. The only breakages are related to the unlimited apps feature and the timeline/notifications. When using the PT(S) with Smokus Pebbled it actually still sends the now legacy commands when it starts and stops an app, which means JSKit still works (but you do need to manually put the pbw file in the /apps/ directory of pebbled).
Oh, I am not thinking protocol, but rather interaction model. In the older Pebble FW, the UI program should be more like a control panel, able to install or remove Pebble programs, slots, etc. For new Pebbles the watch is smarter and handles most of the stuff, including pulling binaries from the phone as required. So the phone program is dumber.

In fact, it could just be a browser to the Pebble store.

(They removed the ability to sort the menu from the watch, so that's not entirely true, though).

In any case, it changes entirely the design of the UI program and the way it communicates with the daemon.

But I also didn't like the implementation. As all messages were build and read using the binary messages. My implementation looks like the way it is build in libpebble2, using classes which represent the messages, which IMHO is a lot cleaner to use.
Personally I wouldn't fork it just because of this, since it's not like messages are hard to decode to begin with, there are many message formats, and most of them are specific to a single endpoint only. So one ends up with a shitton of classes to replace a single 3-line function that most probably would never change for the entire lifetime of the watch.

But oh well.

Changed the coding style to my likings, and I convert the messages to a QVariant instead of a class. But I didn't use/fork libwatchfish, just copied the code over into my project.
Oh well x2.

By the way they use Nuance non-HTTP for the voice API, so we can pretty much forget about it.