View Single Post
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad sign and dangerous path for Jolla (if it is true)?

I am afraid this looks like Jolla's turning to its last resort. If I were them, I would turn this way only if my negotiations with hw manufacturers failed, or if Sailfish became massively popular.

Now why I think it's dangerous:
  • Android users mostly come from Windows from where many of them brought the habit of 'pirating anything that moves, whether I need it or not'. If Jolla wants to make some money on Sailfish OS, it would need to incorporate certain security means to slow the piracy down, which would hurt the open nature of their system.
  • Now they have lots of work with support for their own handset. Imagine the amount of work needed to support many devices they're not in control of. Customers who paid for the system for their Android device would logically expect 1st class support.
  • If they release it officially for free, it might become just another Ubuntu Touch without any clear business model.
  • The main advantage they now have is the exclusivity of their system. That would simply disappear.

I'm all in for community ports, I just think Jolla should think twice before going this way. If it is the way that'll help Jolla/Mer, I'll support it - I'm just not convinced it is.

Last edited by nodevel; 2013-12-02 at 13:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: