Thread: SolarJolla
View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
IDo you have any plan to add a tiny NIMH/Litium battery to your solar in next iteration of your project?

I think it could be an idea. Why? Because when you phone is fully charged you can use sun to charge the extra battery. Also it make charging of the phone more stable if there is a "backup battery"?

I don't know how much extra electric needed to make that work. I realize the costs will get higher and the solar heavier but....
Actually as it happens this will counter the nasty problem that currently haunts the solar TOH; on low lighting the TOH produces so little current that the Jolla device actually consumes more than it gains as it has to keep in active state to moniotor the charging process.

How this concept should work:
  • If there is not enough current from the solar panel, the system is separated from the input circuit of the Jolla phone and the solar panel charges the TOH-integrated LiPo battery with trickle current.
  • When the charge in the TOH-integrated battery is high enough or input of the solar panel is sufficent, the system connects to the Jolla phone and starts charging it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: