View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Again, 3rd rate psychology with the express wish to explain, pardon or dismiss away another's behavior in a situation by attempting to tell other people what they are thinking or how they are feeling is not a help of any kind.
It accomplishes the opposite.
it wrongly validates everyone's feelings and behavior.
You might be right, and if so I'm sorry. I just don't really see the point in fighting when everyone here just hopes the same thing: successful completion of the project. Yet I understand the frustration, I have my share myself, as I don't even remember how much I pledged already because it was long ago. And I still want my Neo900.

About posting news, I agree that IRC should not be the only channel (but it is definitely a very useful one), that's what I meant when I said that maybe a news a month wouldn't be bad in terms of lost time vs backers' satisfaction ratio.

It's funny that the news mentioned the sunk cost fallacy. This is exactly what I have been thinking about since late 2016 when thinking about my own Neo900 unit. I know that even if the Neo900 is finally completed one day, I still haven't paid the full price, and who knows how much I would need to add. So, considering that the hardware will already be kind of old and considering that we don't exactly know if a full-featured OS with phone capability will be realistic, do I still want my device because I already pledged a fair amount and don't want to lose that money even if it means sinking more, or is it because I still truly want a Neo900?

All the work achieved by the team to provide better security is a nice addition (and surely an amazing work that had to be done in the mobile phone market), but what hooked me at the beginning was mostly the updated hardware for a N900. I'm not usually driven by the hardware arms race, but the N900 was one of these phones being really limited by hardware and the user could feel it with the freezes or crashes when the ram was full. This should be better with the Neo900, but will it be enough by today tomorrow's standard of smoothness and responsiveness? Maybe. I hope so.

At this point I still want my Neo900 and will still pay more, and I think it's a combination of sunk cost fallacy and some remnants of my real wish to use a Neo900. Of course there will be a limit to how much I can invest, but we'll see when they have elements to figure out the final price themselves, probably after the next campaign.

In the meantime, I'll probably be very happy to get one of Chen's devices (a bit concerned about the OS though). It won't be as secure as the Neo900, but again that's not what sold the Neo900 to me. It won't have stylus or be compact either; well, that is sad. Funny to think that I will only get my Neo900 at a much later point (if ever) although my N900 was still not totally outdated yet when I got involved, but the fact that I still want mine convices me that the Neo900 is still a timely project that will keep hyping me in the months or years to come.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-23 at 20:48.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: