Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I am still convinced that the best solution would be a nested search, like I suggested a number of times.
Country, region, town, street, house number, in that order, with separate entry fields, without an option to even start entering the next field before the previous one is fully populated.

No need to parse the address, instant search would apply at that hierarchy level only. So typing "Edin" when a town is expected would only yield "Edinburgh" but not the "Duke of Edinburgh" pub; typing "Oxf" when a street is expected would yield "Oxford Street" in the selected town (also "Oxford Circus" if the town is London ), but not hundreds of other "Oxford Street"s in other towns and definitely not Oxford the city...

DrYak's Lodz problem would automatically resolve itself at the "entering the town name" level, since you would have a small list to choose from.
Indeed, this way we can resolve such ambiguity in the address. I should take it in my plans. There is a lot of work to make it possible.

On Pure Maps side, things will be relatively simple, but still some effort is needed. GUI would have to be redesigned and adjusted for such address entry. Would be great to know whether there are online services providing such way of search (where you do specify city and such).

On Geocoder-NLP side things will be way more complicated. I will have to figure out which OSM admin levels correspond to which in such form (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/...administrative) or geocode using WOF (https://www.whosonfirst.org/). Right now we just have one layer below another, without specific meaning of it. If we also want to be able to write with the errors / skipping accents then there are more steps to be done on the top as well.

So, in short, that's not coming over tomorrow. Nor in very near future - but probably should be planned.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: