Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Hybrid navigation
Isn't that just "rotate map according to heading" ?
I can image this to have two configuration options:
- active: always/in navigation mode only/never
- heading source: magnetometer/direction of travel (IMU, some custom hardware, etc.)

For the record I plan to support this in modRana on the MapBox GL native widget (once usable)
MartinK, I think that they met hybrid == inertial_nav_system.

Navigation in tunnels
What you are describing is basically dead reckoning or inertial navigation you take an initial known position and then try to compute position fixes later on via data you have available (absolute speed, compass, acceleration, etc.).

Ideally this would be something generic that works with the smartphone sensors (accelerometer, magnetometer, gyroscope, barometer) or any other available hardware (data from car sensors). This could be part of the location API, or something sitting on top of it, like the map matching API recently added to OSM Scout Server. That way all location using application could use this, possibly without even being aware the position fix came from inertial navigation and not actual GPS data.
Great links, thank you! Agreed, it should be then generic and usable from everywhere. Now, there is a small issue with permissions that may bite us in future. Originally, I wrote map matching with GPS location determined by the server and, on security basis, I decided to kill that code and let the clients feed the position (through provided QML widget). That way I don't have to think which app has permission to get location or not.

With some suggesting following the route, that would mean that every map client will have to provide the route as well. Anyway, it looks rather far fetched at this stage for me.

Yes, in some cases having data about an upcoming tunnel & it's properties could help with the estimation, but then the logic would have to be much more wired to the app & it is still questionable if it would really help.

On a related note, do some of the commercial navigation applications, especially those integrated inside cars (so supposedly having all the car sensors at their disposals) do something like that (eq. GPS less position estimation) ? That could help answer the question how hard or even doable this is.
Good point. They might, have to check the build in nav system when I get into the bigger tunnel.

Multiple routes
I think the idea is you get multiple routes during route search, possibly even from multiple offline/online sources. Then you select one, forget about the others and follow it, including rerouting. (Yet another thing on the modRana TODO Matterhorn. ).
Well, the problem is if you have to reroute before the routes branch. Then you would need to know how was the selected
route different from the rest (if its the same provider, what are the algorithm parameters).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: