Thread: I told you so
View Single Post
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
Well, Nokia has been watching Microsoft *very* carefully since they first tried to enter the mobile market (and probably a lot before), and I think they managed it pretty well. But what they didn't anticipate was Apple and Google entering the scene with such a speed, combined with the rise of low cost asian manufactureres. I think it wrecked their battle plan. Fighting on *all these fronts* simultaneously was just too much to handle. Or at least that's what some people decided somewhere.
The reason Nokia struggled is because Apple screwed their future proof plan. There was so much love for the N95 design, even with the iphone out. However, as other companies found Apple's plan to be the dominant one in the near future, they started releasing similar devices. This must have been a shock for Nokia and has probably caused so many devices to be scrapped, hence the R&D spending. This is how S60v5 came to life, a quick port. The one thing that I can't figure from Elop's dumb decision, what will happen to future E72, business oriented type phones with Symbian dead? Which businessman will buy a WP7 phone over E7? Which is more functional and simpler for such a user? If I was a businessman, I wouldn't buy a phone with flashy UI. But that's just me..