View Single Post
The reasons this is in my opinion quite a bad thing for the open source/free sofware community are

1) people are forced to do choose between being free to do what they want with their device and being able to enjoy media, possibly some applications etc. In the worst possible case this means no proprietary apps or any movies, music etc. for you at all if you want an open system. In the best possible case this means you just won't be able to use some media that uses this but there will still be alternatives (albeit maybe more cumbersome to get on the device)

2) Even if things will be as described in the best possible case described in point 1 at first, if such a thing is accepted and becomes universal (that is MS finally gets around implementing a similar thing as they have been trying to etc.) there eventually will not be any or very little non-protected music, movies etc. that can be used on a device not using this "protection". This would mean becoming free would also prevent you from getting any entertainment that also wasn't a part of free culture.

Yes, the analog hole would still persist while we don't have DRMed eyes & ears but the quality degradation would be pretty severe... I'll say I will have a hard time justifying the purchase of a supposedly FLOSS-friendly device that also supports this divide.

Last edited by slux; 2010-01-31 at 15:32.