View Single Post
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Sileby, Leicester, UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I'm not sure the N900 would be a good fit for you. It has a lot of nice features, but apparently not the kind of features you are looking for...

The CSSU does provide full portrait support for the desktop, and many apps now support portrait use, so this isn't the problem it once was.

The N900's resistive screen is probably one of the best ever made. That said, it is one of the last high-end phones with a resistive screen; if you're used to the glass, you may not like it...

You can playback 720p on the N900 by using some of the tricks described elsewhere in the TMO site; it's generally done by overclocking the device. 1080p is probably impossible.

(BTW, this is one of my pet peeves -- why in the world do people insist on playing 1280x720 or 1920x1080 pixel resolution video on an 800x480 pixel screen? It isn't like you're going to magically be able to see the extra pixels; heck, the video quality is going to be _worse_ than an 800x480 video, because the phone has to down-convert the video resolution on the fly! You're wasting storage space, processor speed, and battery life by shoving oversized video onto a little cell phone... If you really want to play TV-resolution video, you should carry around a hi-res tablet. )

Now this is one area where the N900 shines (in my opinion). The N900's browser, "Microb", is based off of Mozilla (Firefox), and pretty much runs as if it were a desktop browser, not a phone browser. (You can install Opera though, if you prefer that.)

If you're looking for a phone that you're mostly going to use for web browsing / music / video, I've gotta say that the N900 is probably not the phone for you. The hardware is starting to age, and modern iPhone/Android/WP phones do a fine job if all you want to do is consume media.
Thanks. But I definitely wouldn't say I want to consume much media, i use the internet mainly for reading news, i play my music though the FM transmitter on my old 80's stereo or in a car and i occasionally watch classic British comedy's on my phone or though HDMI on my TV. I do like to make changes to my phone though mods and hacks.

Also on the 'why would you want to play 720p or 1080p videos on a tiny resolution screen'. I agree with you. but i fear some of the videos may come in only high resolutions.

By the way whats the hardware keyboard like, particularly for texting is it any good? And whats the on screen portrait keyboard like

Last edited by dodgevipergts; 2014-04-06 at 13:23.