View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
I just noticed this on the FAQ on the Neo900 website:

How much is my donation (above 100 EUR) worth?

If you made a donation greater than 100 EUR early on in the project you were given a voucher equal to the donated amount when we launched our shop.
This amount carry a 2% monthly interest until the day we require the full payment for the device, even if you use the provided voucher before this is asked for.

If you donated 100 EUR 2013-11-01 and we ask for full payment by 2015-11-01, your donation would be worth:
148.00 EUR; 2% monthly interest from original donation * 24 (months)
That's not how monthly interest works. Monthly interest is accumulative, meaning that the 2% is calculated every month on the new balance, not on the initial amount.

After 24 months, 2% monthly interest on a donation of €100 should be worth a total of €160.84.

It would be acceptable if your unusual method of calculating monthly interest was stated from the beginning, however the many of us placed donations before the FAQ or even the neo900.org website even existed. The original Goldelico page states:

The rebate amount will raise by 2% for each month between donation and start of shipment. E.g. 200 EUR entitle for 204 EUR rebate after 1 full month. This is a bonus for supporting the project upfront.
Of course the 1 month calculation is a bad example as it is valid for both methods of calculating interest, however there is nothing that states that the interest would be calculated from the initial donation amount every month, therefore most would assume that interest would be calculated the normal way.

Perhaps I shouldn't even be bringing this up, I don't really want to endanger the project any further. It's meant to a donation after all, so for all I care you can choose to do whatever you like with it. The interest earned however, was the one consolation for the extremely long delays we've had to endure.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: