View Single Post
I would definitely find some way to try one out before purchasing and dumping the touch, because everyone has their opinion and you might love it or hate it. I liked my n810 overall, because it was a fun piece of technology to hack around on. I had issues though that eventually caused me to end up with an iphone...

1) Music player options: They were varied and functional...even nice. But I found them slow, especially on startup.
2) Video streaming: I was streaming from TVersity...rencoding on the fly. It worked well enough if you started it and let it go, but if I paused more than a couple of times it would end up crapping out. This was both with the build in player and MediaStreamer. Then I couldn't resume where I left off since it wouldn't seek in the streams. I tried to just play off a share with mplayer and a big buffer, but that didn't work either because...
3)...the wireless performace was not up to snuff. I've read it's a driver issue put in place to conserve power...but wireless transfers were slow. USB didn't work correctly for me(probably because of the way I had formatted my cards), so to transfer any large files to the device, I would have to just start it an leave it to transfer while I was away...
4) To me the web browsing experience was lackluster. The screen is beautiful, no denying that. But the microB browser has to load the entire page before you can begin using it. The webkit replacements work better, but (again just my opinion) do not offer a better experience than iphone Safari...even with the larger screen.
5) Gaming: Do not buy this device if gaming is a priority for you...at least in regards to emulators. IMO, they are not in a playable state(at least with sound). Controls are an obvious issue also. However, if you are a fan of ScummVm, you will find yourself in heaven as it does Scumm very well. Numpty physics is also awesome and I miss having a portable Wesnoth very, very much.

Okay, I feel like that list became way too negative as I really do like the device, but for me the iphone was a better fit. The hardware keyboard was very nice as you could keep the entire screen in view as you were typing, great for xterm and note taking. I find I can actually type faster on the iphone keyboard with it's predictive keysizing and error correction(when it gets it right). Compared to the touch, the ability to tether to your cell phone is very nice. Battery life is a tossup for me...but I'm actually averaging 5-6 hours with my iphone in regular usage(net, streaming video, music...uh and as a phone occasionally ), which is about the same as I saw with the tablet. I really like the OSS nature of the tablet and the singular community, there's a really good group of folks here.

Anyway, just another set of opinions...again try to get your hands on one before making a decision...