View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I have Kobo Aura H2O and I can say I'm very satisfied with it.

I think the only missing thing from your list is hardware buttons, but I havent found that to be an issue during regular use - the touchscreen (which is actually not capacitive but infrared) works just fine and just can page either by taping areas on the screen or by a left/right gesture over the screen. Also nice touch that you can change intensity of the (superb!) built in frontlight by a up/down swipe near the left edge - many other devices required you activating and using an awkward menu for this.

The device is also dust and water proof, which could be pretty handy in some scenarios. There is also a slot for a uSD card (under a water-tigh cover) which is a must if you read any mangas/comic books or have scanned PDFs, etc.

The default reader software works well and doesn't get in the way - and there is a very nice plugins for Calibre that makes it easy to manage what books you have on the device and can even create book collections visible in the Reader UI for you.

As for custom development, the Kobo platform is pretty open and there is even a complete reader replacement, called Koreader, that has some pretty advanced features, like support of sending books and book metadata (reading state) directly between readers on the same network, providing access to the device to Calibre over network and other features. I haven't really got to try Koreader out myself though.

The overall community developer community seems to be concentrated at Mobileread and looks pretty active.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: