View Single Post
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Too untried & unsafe. People will see over the next 12 months if their devices will work without major hacking, or are just hold together with duct tape in same way like N900 et al.

(...)

(mainstream) devs can be convinced, not just relying on freetime devs and communities. Otherwise it would be not much more than a portable SSH terminal with a shiny UI that also can (take) calls.
No, thanks. I really do *want* another device relying on freetime devs and communities, with the difference being actual support (re openness of code and hardware bits, where possible).

If I would like to have almost everything (including terminal...) as payware of advertisement-filed crap, I would already "convert" to android I don't see any real benefit in those "mainstream" devs, as you call them.
---

Is Jolla late? It depends. If the will act wisely, and release device that targets geeks niche, without irritating sh*t like aegis or "dumbed down", closed interface, they're going to get praised, no matter how long it take. After all, apple success is doing exactly the same, just targeting exactly opposite niche, and pleasing them to no end. Geeks niche is, generally, unexploited.

Androids seems to cover the most boring, "middle ground" of general population users (ones that used "dumb phones" just few years ago). Give them compatibility with some standard services, few brain-empty games to kill time, and they're happy. No place for Jolla there, I hope.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: