View Single Post
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Joensuu, Finland
Call me a glutton for punishment, but I thought I'd try this out.

I looked around the Jolla operating system and figured out that it should be possible to share the network connection through Bluetooth, specifically my laptop running OS X Mavericks.

Now, my first step was to simply start pand --listen --role NAP --master and see if the laptop would connect its Bluetooth PAN profile. I had to delete and reassociate the Jolla, only then was it shown as a PAN device (Mavericks no longer has a button to rescan the Bluetooth profile, although there may be a utility for the purpose in XCode).

Then I assigned a fixed IP address (private, off the top of my head, not in use anywhere in the nearby networks) to the Bt PAN interface on the laptop, after which its status changed to "Connected". What this means is something of a mystery, however, as there was no outward route from the laptop, and there was no obvious interface at either end to create it to.

(Of course I could just route 3G to WiFi with iptables, provided this thing knows how to make an ad-hoc network, but where's the fun in that? )

Helpful advice is welcome. If the Jolla 1/2014 update introduces a WiFi or Bluetooth sharing function, I'll be very happy indeed

The next step would be to find out how to get the two devices talking to each other over Bt, the rest is trivial

The Following User Says Thank You to jsiren For This Useful Post: