View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mick3_de View Post
True, but isn't actually the point of newer Qt point releases also to bring performance improvements and lot's of bug fixes?
Actually, that's a pretty good question. Many organizations do maintain the policy of limiting "minor" releases to just performance and fixing bugs, but this doesn't apply to everybody. Certainly, Qt has added and removed features whenever they wanted; heck, QML itself was introduced in Qt 4.7.

In short, the numeric value of a Qt release isn't a good indicator of just how much Qt has changed in that release.

Don't you see the irony that a device what is build on the premise of Qt lags the newest improvements of the toolkit compared to all other platforms?
The fundamental premise of Qt is ease of cross-platform app creation. I don't see how that should make updating an operating system any easier...

Moreover, Jolla is selling itself on having a superior mobile device user experience on top of a (mostly) open operating system. This really has nothing to do with what version of Qt they use; their selling point could still stand, even if they moved away from Qt altogether.

I think it would be really great to have an updated Qt WebKit or even the new Qt WebEngine module. All apps rendering web content including 3rd party web browsers would greatly benefit from it. Also Jolla could switch finally to GStreamer 1.x with Qt Multimedia. Besides this the SFOS SDK could use a newer version of Qt Creator for development.
The way Qt has messed around with their web client software is far, far more than just a simple performance enhancement, and requires at least a little amount of effort to properly adjust to. Similarly, GStreamer 1.x has some interesting differences over 0.10. And I don't see any significant value in having the latest version of Qt Creator; I'm currently using Qt Creator 2.4.1 (SDK 4.7) for Maemo work, Qt Creator 3.1.2 (SDK 5.2) for Sailfish work, and Qt Creator 3.3.0 (SDK 5.4) for Android work. They're all pretty much identical in terms of how they work, other than that they all support some radically different Qt features.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: