View Single Post
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Thank you.

The first thing that is different here may be Nokia’s acknowledgment through you that a public grass roots community is of value and participant motivation can be altruistic.

I say “may be different” because it is not always clear if you are posting as a member of this community or an employee of Nokia. *

From what I understand of the Palm situation is that Palm initially may have taken the stance that the “community” was attempting to compromise marketing decisions regarding release dates. The community’s initial motivation was to coordinate their events with the release of, at the very least, the SDK. Unfortunately this then provided the environment for both party’s worse fears as fanbois did try to extrapolate release dates from Palm’s responses, and Palm employees publicly questioned the motivation of volunteer community organizers. (I’m thinking at least one Palm employee is now looking for a job )

These things will happen. There will always be people trying to game the system. However just because they can, doesn’t mean the system is at fault or it needs to be abandoned, it just means both sides must be aware and vigilant.

Of course Palms newest response may be calculated to simply quell the disturbance until after the launch.

* Edit:
This is relevant as members of our own community may attempt to redirect this thread in order to find answers to unrelated questions that are important too them.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-06-04 at 11:14.