View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What I propose (and as I read the original proposition) is that when public works start the specification process of any large systems that include software components, part of the specification says that the interfaces and components are Open Source and owned by the utility that ordered it, not by the contractor who implemented it.

In essence this means that the Public Utility only purchases work from the contractors, it does not purchase software.
Interesting. To me, the meaning is exactly the opposite. When you buy something, you own it. When you pay for the work to have something done, you do not necessarily own the result.

Again, the idea may look nice on the screen and may appeal to the Stallmans of this world who believe that software is somehow "special" and that it should be "free". However, software is just another product, not much different from bricks or cars. You can buy a car or lease it. Which one is better for you depends on your specific circumstances. You pay more overall when leasing the car than when you buy it outright, but it may be cheaper to lease if you for example only need the car for a limited period.

You have provided some good examples, now allow me to provide a couple.

Let's say I am a small, local software company and I have applied for a tender to provide an integrated parking payment system for the whole district. The system should incorporate ANPR, link to the national vehicle licensing agency, have multiple payment options including in-situ payment terminals, remote credit-card payment by phone, and account payment by direct debit. Some of these functions are interfacing other public institutions (the licensing agency) and, if your initiative had been in place for some time, may be already open. But let's say the initiative comes to force tomorrow and it will take the licensing agency 6 months to open the interface. Can my local council accept a 6-months' delay? Other interfaces may not be open at all (any of those interfacing the banks) and are subject to NDAs. And lastly, I did not develop the ANPR system myself, I had to license it from someone who did. I cannot simply release the source willy-nilly.

What you are saying is that, basically, I am out. I need not bother to apply.

Another example, I am a large company that has spent years and millions of pounds/dollars/euros developing said ANPR system. Now you are expecting me to just give it away? I will just show you the middle finger.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: