View Single Post
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by frethop View Post
As a full-time reader, part-time contributor, in this forum, I have learned to respect many of you who have posted their thoughts and knowledge and opinions here....

...If we all truly ignore those who personally attack -- simply don't take the bait, swallow the urge to lecture, or realize you don't have to defend yourself -- they will go away. Or at least we can raise the signal-to-noise ratio...

-F
Wiser words could not have been said...

All we really need to know about behaving in a forum we should have learned in the first week of grade school.

IMO the problems with the thread in question would have been avoided had one or both parties chosen not to respond to the other. Membership would have had a chance to respond to the topic at hand and consensus could have been formed by the forum on the validity of the statement.

Because of the back and forth between the two, valid opinions from others were either ignored or categorized by one or the other of the two as either for or against them personally.

It ain't personal... it's the freakin' internet! Most use a screen name, so justifying a response as defending ones honor is kind of ridiculous.

This thinking may have bled into other threads and the typical response by most members is to not post in order to not get involved in the childishness...

I know I posted in that thread to "feed the fire and it will burn out" but that was only after an off topic post war had erupted. By then it was just too dang entertaining.

It is also MHO that both of the parties in question should refrain from responding in this thread so that once again, the forum membership is free to form a consensus with out the implication of a personal, ulterior motive.