View Single Post
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I find the opposition to Reggie's proposal interesting. He didn't say he's going to clamp down with a totalitarian fist. He said personal attacks won't be tolerated.

I'm fine with that. There's no need for that sort of engagement. And I have to wonder how those complaining would feel if THEY were the target of some angry, obsessive poster. If Ignore alone sufficed, that would be great. But again: as long as the target is the only one using it, and the troublemaker is hyperactive, then Ignore doesn't work. And as another poster wisely pointed out, newcomers (and we're having a steady stream) don't have the troublemakers on ignore, and can be put off by the sort of crap the Skype thread endured.

And along those lines, I also find it interesting that I'm catching some crap for that debacle. Anyone who objectively examines that mess can easily see I was exercising restraint (confirmed to me by some PMs). Despite what's been said, I never started off by attacking the person responsible for this nonsense-- I simply expressed doubt over a date. And for that a flamewar ensues, one in which you'll kindly note was engaged in by numerous people responding to the troublemaker. If I'm going to be blamed for doubting a date, well, then we've got more to worry about than a few rules.

Some of you say you'll quit if Reggie enacts a little overdue decorum. How do you think *I* feel being the target of unwarranted hostility? Should I stick around for that???

Let's all be adults here. I'll definitely behave myself as long as I don't have to put up with any ridiculous bs that I don't think the complainers would like.

/rant