View Single Post
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
My current job is building and testing linux distributions. (that's the 2 inhouse distributions I mentioned...
What's kinds of job is it?

I work as IT(servers/network/winworkstations) administrator and it's pretty boring for me. Such job would be a dream for me.

I was pretty experienced linux user(started with Mandrake 8, but later there were Gentoo[I was scared of Debian, considered for exp. users ;-], Debian, AuroraLinux, Fedora, Slackware, Ubuntu, Suse until I found PLD Linux, which was second(after Gentoo) I falled in love and become devloper for few years.
But after many years(PLD was 2nd biggest RPM-based distro, and 3rd general in those time), userbase(nearly equal to developers base) was shrinking over time, and there were few dev-wars(we hadn't strong leadership, all was kind of mix of republic and anarchy). In that time PLD also migrated to git(from cvs), systemd and RPM5(now I know it was stupid decision), so nearly every second update distro become unbootable(we lacked manpower to fix all for systemd) and all old compiled packages(with rpm4, which all other[Fedora, SUSE, RHEL] still uses [except Mandriva]) become incompatible with new/current PLD system. And our wonderfull Poldek (best package manager interface, I;ve ever used[like bash, there's dirs like [installed], [testing], etc, and you navifate trough 'cd', 'ls') had many problems with RPM5, and after second database corruption (in which case full system reinstall was needed[you cannot delete database like with RPMv4, and recreate it from headers), I was off and switched to fedora temporarily). Recently I installed Archlinux in chroot and switched to it, but I'm not fully happy with Arch(it got packaged fresh plasma, etc, but there's not much of old/classic games/apps in repos. Base repos are small, while 3rd party are slow and unreliable(in PLD they were at least hosted in PLD infrastructure). And all GPG signing problems. I don't like pacman at all [both command syntax and how it works. Powerpill, etc are only ugly workarounds(Fedora's DNF is way better, faster and more modern)
So with Arch I got much more fresh software than I could get with Fedora, and with unstable repos it's much more stable than Rawhide. But I'm still thinking about going back to PLD.
The fun thing for me is that, after upgrading fedora from f25 to f27, system stopped booting normally(boots only in emergency mode, after ctrl+d pressed). I was thinking it's fedora specific bug and started preparing Arch in chroot, and after twoo weeks when booted it, I got identical error in Arch(so now I know it's SystemD upstream bug). And the only technology involved is systemd (Arch uses mkinitcpio, while Fedora dracut).
The problem is I'm using BTRFS with subvolumes(insted of partitions) over LUKS, and systemd thinks that /dev/mapper/butter, which luks device with (rootpartition '/') isn't ready and all dependencies fails for other services(while it's already mounted and boots correctly after ctrl+d). It was much more easier in rc-scripts time, than nowwith systemd, udev, dbus and all that magic underhood ;-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post: