View Single Post
AFAIK Nokia never promised anyone any OS upgrades. The upgrades they've issued have been entirely voluntary. (Note that an OS upgrade is a different thing to a firmware upgrade.)

My S60 phone has unbelievable bugs and the one and only (and most probably last) firmware update it ever received didn't fix any of them, nor did it introduce new features. i also have no way to submit and track bugs, get feedback etc.... they're just zombie-esque in the S60 offices.
You're being a bit unfair. Which S60 device do you have? They all use totally different firmware versions, and even the same device may have different firmware in different regions.

S60 firmware updates are very device-specific, and if you have a popular device (for example the N95) you will probably get several firmware updates every year.

My Nokia 5800 has had four firmware versions since it launched, that's about one update a month. That's a far higher update rate than the tablets have received, probably helped by the 5800's sales being on a par with the iPhone's.

But some phones don't sell well at all, and if no one buys them then there isn't much incentive for the manufacturer to issue a firmware update.

No manufacturer ever promises any firmware updates. I know people claim they do, but when you ask for some proof of this claim they never provide any.

Originally Posted by bhang View Post
hey what the fu(k, I just got an n810, because they came down enuff that I didint have to sell any organs
The reason the price has come down so much is precisely because the N810 hardware is so old and they want to get rid of old stock before the new Maemo device goes on sale.

The N810 now costs about half of what it did at launch, that only happens when a device is on the way out.

when will these companies learn backwards compatibility, keeps customers happy, and dropping support pisses off the world and promotes piracy as people feel entitled to the software if the hardware they own is capable to run....
It's not a compatibility problem, it's a hardware problem. Maemo 5 has been built around much faster hardware than the N810.

The N810 uses the same computing hardware as the N800, which was released almost two and a half years ago. It's quite old hardware.

Hopefully Mer will give the N810 and N800 something, but it isn't going to be as good as Maemo 5 because Maemo 5 requires better computing hardware than the N810 can offer.

Last edited by krisse; 2009-05-05 at 18:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post: