View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I am not sure how the lack of visible Git updates relates to the switch from Eagle to KiCad. Also, there is a mention of git issue on the 2017-09-16: "blind man trying to fix a git issue..." KiCad migration was finished long ago.
https://irclog.whitequark.org/neo900/2017-09-16 <-- Git issue

Just take a look at >> [main] 170c67fa86d58a4df4e79fd3156597ad9e464bf0 2017-10-10 13:24 metacollin o [proto_v2_layout] [origin/proto_v2_layout] More layout progress. << Where can it be seen online?

As it was mentioned in September 2017, "The current expectation for v2 prototype layout completion is 5 weeks." No idea how much of that work was done before the metacollin's participation was "cut short due to a family emergency and has been temporarily put on hold"; metacollin is currently MIA. He was missing in October and November, I think, and then working on layout in December again. Quoting DocScrutiniser from 2018-01-23, >> layouter [metacollin] is MIA and I'm really not able to follow up like I should, since 2 months, due to health issues and other RL impact to my life. The final price still is "realistic" (or as unrealistic as it always been, anyway stable at 1k) but we need to source our minimum count of preorders like we always had to, which I hoped to achieve with a kickstarter to kick off after we got a proto_v2 to show off <<

I would start worrying if there were no news by the end of February. And I am guessing that help with Git would be welcome, since Git at Neo900 is apparently borken.
No persisting git issues, all git problems got fixed in due time (like max a few days until we found help or the solution)

Metacollin contributed layout work until he went MIA first time in November. He returned for a very short time in December and is MIA since then again, alas I was also not available to deal with this until a 5 days ago, as I announced (sick leave pending since start of 2017, and temporary move out of my flat for a mandatory house improvement the landlord scheduled, left me without much connectivity or access to my workstation). I'm trying to contact Metacollin since I'm back home, no reply yet. First of all I hope he's well.

The git commits related to layout are not publicly available before shipping date since we intended to protect the project from chinese copycats - I posted screenshots provided by metacollin a few times and you can get access to project files on demand.

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
The fact that they talk about trying to get another round of funding before shipping the devices suggests detachment from reality has set in.
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Does anyone remember how many neo900 preorders there were before the tally page stopped working? I vaguely recall it was about 2000, but I could be way off.
Hmm, no detachment from reality on my side, I explained very clearly that we need a 600 or better 800 preorders to make this project economically feasible, several times in IRC as well as in this thread. I explained that we are stuck at ~350 preorders and we NEED to somehow reach the needed count which I hoped to achieve with a kickstarter to be started when proto_v2 is ready, to show off a real physical item working. At no time in this project we had 2k preorders unless my detachment from reality is so massive that I forgot that.

I stopped all but the most important payments (for website/servers, taxes, and Metacollin now) a 10 months ago already, to keep the needed funds available for reaching that point where we can start generating the missing preorders via kickstarter. I ate up my own savings during that period so now my RL is getting tough.

This project is severely underfunded from lack of a sufficient number of preorders and particularly it's short on manpower, I'm the only one constantly pushing it since beginning, and this comes to an end now where my health and my personal economical situation forbids doing so on a fultime basis.
Finding a layouter took almost a year with many futiile negotiations and repeatedly weeks of "lessons" to explain to layout candidates what are the requirements of the project (multiple times since you don't do this with more than one candidate at once). I am sorry I can't continue to contribute on this level for now until I recovered from economical and health issues.

I completely understand the frustration and I share it, but honestly I don't see any "mistakes to admit" or how to improve. People still keep telling us that there's need for a secure phone hw platform and that our design is unique and the only one promising that.
If anybody out there is willing to help on management of this project (after all it never was meant to be a "factory makes product for customers as a business" but from very beginning been a project sparked off and driven by community request) I'd be more than grateful. It's too much for a single person

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2018-01-25 at 02:32.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: