View Single Post
Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
What is your definition of a hackers device? My definition of a hacker's device is where the device freely allows one to do whatever the hell they want with the device regardless if its software and/or hardware based hack.

If you want hardware hacks, what about battery mod? what about IR camera hack? what about the myriads of other hardware hacks one could do to their N900?

Since when did I refer that your hardware was locked down? I was stating proprietary components that manufacturers do to prevent any regular Joe from tampering with it. Have a look at N900's ofono which was based around nokia's proprietary dialer.

N900 isn't without any proprietary components, this was why in cases of nitdroid for instance one cannot have full featured access as they did when they were running maemo natively on N900.

Not according to wikipedia, . Alas we all know that wikipedia isn't as always updated as what one would expect.

Yet on wikipedia (for SDXC) that states one can use 64GB. These again are besides the point. The discussion of SDHC/SDXC and memory expansion options are not what I was on about but rather the internal RAM and NAND (or NOR) memory.

Please also do some more research on where to appropriately place the threads to avoid being targeted.
I am sorry to inform you but I read the board's description and this thread fitted as well on the General board. I asked a moderator to move it to the competitors so everyone will be happy.

As long as the hardware is almost the same, so few differences the HTC Universal (or MDA PRO, to be more precise about he model I own). Mods like you said can be also ported to the HTC's Linux OS, so I don't see why it can't run those.

HTC Universal doesn't have any proprietary components. Since HTC does not have an OS of their own, the device was supposed to be opened so MS could install that Windows Mobile 5.0. Windows Mobile 5.0 even that it was closed source, it was easy to hack and so, the developers working on Debian ports and Android ports got those OS fully running without any limitations on this device.

About the definition of a hackers device, you are right. That is exactly what a hackers device is, but guess what, the N900 have some limitations too, and you stated them, the HTC doesn't. Also, for example, I want to run Windows Mobile or Windows Phone (6.5, from that version on the hardware is purely not compatible) I can on this, you can't on the N900, and here we are not talking about the OS preferences, we are talking about the possibilities given by the current hardware.

It's true, the wi-fi it's only b and not b/g but at that time, the wi-fi routers were so rare... HTC decided that on that generation the b/g module is not necesary.

You know what's the only difference between you and me in this thread? That I am having on my desk the HTC Universal and the N900 testing them, while you have your N900 in mind and need to search basic user information. If you do a search on N900 on wiki, there is nothing impressive over there either.