View Single Post
Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by PurpleXS8 View Post
To begin:

Here is the description of this board: Relevant topics not tied to a specific program, OS or device. Post here if you can't find a better place. So here you are completely wrong.
So why is there sub-topics like Alternatives and Competitors? Are they only used for maemo running on alternative platforms and/or some other hardware running maemo? Wait, why do I see people asking about iOS stuff, android stuff (no not just nitdroid alone) and then ubuntu OS which has nothing to do maemo?

You just gave 2 useless functions that are not important on a hackers device (did you read the title, if not read it again, those functions are pure multimedia, not related to a hackers device, or developer's device)
What is your definition of a hackers device? My definition of a hacker's device is where the device freely allows one to do whatever the hell they want with the device regardless if its software and/or hardware based hack.

DSP hack is related to multimedia, sure that I can relate but I was merely stating upon how one (or a few) have discovered ways to make better use, have a look at fcam for instance. Are they not hacking the device to an extent so that they could bring out more functionality?

mac80211 framework. I cannot see how is that relevant to multimedia. If I were to shift my focus directly onto the use of wireless pentesting tools, how is that not redefining the capabilities of the device hence hacking?

If you want hardware hacks, what about battery mod? what about IR camera hack? what about the myriads of other hardware hacks one could do to their N900?

You are sure about the hardware, well let me prove you wrong. At that period of time, HTC was not locking the devices and did not have ANY locked hardware. Debian can run freely as on any pc. I never had any issues to play 720p HD videos on Windows Mobile 6.5 (when I had this device) but the 1080 were a little choppy. When running an OPEN SOURCE OS like Android or Debian, you can fine tune everything you want.
Since when did I refer that your hardware was locked down? I was stating proprietary components that manufacturers do to prevent any regular Joe from tampering with it. Have a look at N900's ofono which was based around nokia's proprietary dialer.

N900 isn't without any proprietary components, this was why in cases of nitdroid for instance one cannot have full featured access as they did when they were running maemo natively on N900.

HTC Universal also have the USB OTG host-mode. With the latest drivers HTC Universal can read 32GB SDHC Class10 without any problems.
Not according to wikipedia,
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Universal
Connection interface: Client only Mini-USB connector, USB charging, USB 2.0 protocol
. Alas we all know that wikipedia isn't as always updated as what one would expect.

Yet on wikipedia (for SDXC) that states one can use 64GB. These again are besides the point. The discussion of SDHC/SDXC and memory expansion options are not what I was on about but rather the internal RAM and NAND (or NOR) memory.

Please do some more research on the device and the development before posting a reply. Here is a demo of the USB OTG on the HTC Universal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfhbEu2WDnk
Please also do some more research on where to appropriately place the threads to avoid being targeted.