Thread: Ask Nokia
View Single Post
Originally Posted by NokNok770 View Post
I had the 770 when it first came out. It has only been a year and there's another model out already.
For what it's worth, if you compare the 770 with the most similar devices out there, i.e. PDAs, the practice of coming out with a new model every year (or more often!) is the norm, not the exception.

On the other hand, the idea of slacking off the support for older devices is one that has backfired on more than one PDA vendor. Palm, for example, which has always had a very _very_ loyal customer base has p*ssed off a lot of people lately because they concentrate all the effort on the latest Treos, while they won't even come out with the simplest, smallest updates necessary to let the owners of older devices BT connect with the newest phones or more providers. This has made a lot of people angry and sent them over to the PPC (MS) crowd instead.
I've got two Tungsten T3's myself, bought a spare when they stopped making them because none of the newer devices are as good a match to what I need, but it sure is annoying to be left behind.
Hey, I'm getting an N800 now :-) We'll see how that turns out..

Oh, as input to the thread: What about printing from the device? As for usage patterns, I plan to carry it around from meeting to meeting in the office, instead of that chunky laptop. The N800 has got a reasonable screen, wi-fi, BT keyboard support if I need it (I'm fine with stylus keyboard input though) web browser and email reader, so it should be good for this. Better than my T3 I hope, because of the larger screen (480x800 vs. 320x480). Thus some of what I need is approx. like this:
- VPN, specifically OpenVPN (the kernel has TUN support, right? Shouldn't be a problem then?)
- If I'm on VPN I should be able to print PS and PDF files (i.e. normal cups/lpr support) over the network
- The email support should be good, if I get something that works as well as versamail+gmail on my Palm PDA I'm happy (I don't have my N800 yet but I mention this because I've heard that the standard email app on the 770 isn't much to write home about)
- Good PDF reader. PalmPDF works great on the Palm (depends a bit on the PDF file though), and it's based on xpdf (but looks nothing like it), so it should be possible, right?

(Maybe I'll edit and add if I think of more)

(Edit: Corrected screen size typo)

Last edited by TA-t3; 2007-01-09 at 12:58.