View Single Post
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
[QUOTE=matthewcc;356833]I agree it is just one business model but I think you hit on a hugely important fact Why would I care about what the developers business model is ? I just want the application, or plug in, or extention or whatever - and i want it to work. Oh and I want it to be easy, to find, and install and set up. And if it looks cool too - Bonus!/QUOTE]

For many apps I don't care. The reason I care for some apps is that I want some assurance that the app will exist and will be updated in a year or two. I have a better assurance of continuing support when the app is developed by a group rather than an individual and when the developers have a business model that will allow them to focus on the app rather than on exams or a new baby or whatever.

If you look at sourceforge.net there are numerous apps which are no longer being supported. Just looking at the desktop environment section, there are almost 100 projects that have released files but have not made any updates in this century. If I happen to have a solitaire game that's abandoned, it's no big deal. If apps I count on are abandoned, it is. So, yes, for some apps I want to know the developers have a business model.