View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by netman View Post
Being the author of a window manager myself (matwm), I couldn't resist seeing if mine would run on my phone. So being smart as I am, I just replaced Xsession (don't!), and figured there are watchdog daemons rebooting the phone if it notices important stuff goes *poof*. Enabling R&D mode fixed this, and it worked, sorta :-). Was it usable? No. Not yet anyway. I ended up reflashing the phone, so be warned, don't mess with the init scripts unless you are prepared to get in trouble.

I did get to just kill hildon-desktop later (in R&D mode), and launch matwm along the other desktop stuff (and sshd, which was useful). And it seems their popup and menu things, etc - and the hildon panel thing for that mather - expect hildon to do special stuff (other than listening to ICCCM and EWMH hints).

That said, if I get time for it I'm going to try getting a different desktop on the phone, hopefully in a saner fashion than my first experiment - in which case i'll post an update. Actually, my plan was/is to write matwm-mobile, and have it be a complete replacement for the hildon desktop stuff. But I am lazy, not always bright and/or very motivated, so no idea if it'll ever happen.

n900 in R&D mode (hence the keyboard lights weirdness) running matwm (could only launch calendar and media player at the time, matwm defaults settings made it next to impossible to operate, hence what little is on the screen): link (warning: 4672x3104 9.5MB jpeg)
Thanks! If you find a way to completely replace hildon, it will be interesting.

I tried to compile and run JWM, but there are some troubles with fonts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JWM
Maybe, I should fetch xfonts-base...