View Single Post
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
what are reason against ubuntu phone? i have nexud 5 but lune os isn not available yet!

ps: are there some news about the really wanted implementation of your cover patch ?
Ah, sorry, I mistook Nexus 4 for Nexus 5.

And the reasons? Mind that they are just my opinion:
  • Canonical and their attitude towards the rest of the Linux/FOSS world. This is one good example. I do not want to support such attitude.
  • Mir (related to the previous point)
  • No multitasking
  • Unintuitive design (I am complaining about SailfishOS 2.0, but that's nothing compared to UT's side and bottom swipes).
  • Alarm doesn't go off when the phone is turned off.
  • The focus on Web apps and its effect on the native app situation.
  • Last time I heard, it was nowhere near the functionality completion or optimization of SailfishOS.
  • After the Ubuntu Edge con and the issue with Ubuntu (Desktop) automatically sending your searches to Amazon for search suggestions, I wouldn't rely on it for my data/privacy.

Don't give me wrong, Ubuntu Touch may have changed a lot since I last saw it and I may be pleasantly surprised and even change my opinion, but some of the aforementioned things are crucial for someone coming from the Maemo/Linux world. I used to be a Ubuntu (Desktop) user many years ago, but I'm glad I left.

PS: Still no progress on the patch, sorry. I'm looking into some other things that need fixing for my use case, but I'd definitely like to get back to it.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-09-20 at 10:15.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post: