Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Just a quick report. I finally got to use Pure Maps in a real-life situation, i.e. my vacation. The rental car also had GPS installed, so it was easy to compare the two. The routing of Pure Maps was far superior. Even though, I had asked the car GPS for the quickest routes, it kept sending us through tiny residential streets and steep mountain roads. Pure Maps' routing showed us much more sensible alternatives.

Talking about mountain roads, how about a feature to block certain roads for routing? There was one road in particular that was a nightmare. Thus, I would have appreciated a detour.

Another feature that could be helpful might be a zoom on crossroads and roundabouts when approaching them. For example, there was a roundabout with seven exits. Seeing it in more detail beforehand would have helped a lot.

As for roundabouts, is it possible to augment the spoken directions to indicate the general direction of the exit? For example, instead of "enter the roundabout, third exit", it could say "go straight|turn left|slightly left|sharp left in the roundabout, third exit". It's a lot easier if you know which direction you are going for.

Also, is it possible to make Pure Maps/Mimic "speak" at will? Maybe it could repeat the last instruction (or an update of it) when a certain part of the screen is touched? This way one could test whether voice navigation is working (i.e. whether the bluetooth connection to the car is functional).

I noticed a curious Mimic ideosyncracy: It turns Roman numerals into letters such as aye-aye-aye. :-)

By the way, talking of Mimic: I noticed that it doesn't seem to pronounce "special characters" like letters with accents or umlauts. Would it be possible for Pure Maps to detox the street names it sends to Mimic, i.e. replacing diacritics/accents/umlauts with the closest letter - e.g. "rue Théâtre" into "rue Theatre" (now it's read as "rue Thtre", which sounds pretty rough and is hard to recognize)?

Bottom line, OSM Scout Server and Pure Maps are everything I could have hoped for. Great job indeed!!!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dubliner For This Useful Post: