Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The default setting seem a bit "wrong". Of course, de gustibus non disputandum est, but I would expect OSM Scout to be the default maps provider
I am planning to make separate defaults for online and offline services with a simple way. It will take some time to implement it properly.

Search and Navigation have their own provider settings. That is fine and some may find it useful, but I would expect the default to follow the setting of the maps provider and only diverge when the user explicitly tells it to.
Well, Mapbox as a search provider and router will be probably just out of our reach due to its price. So, it makes sense to mix and match and use the best online provider for corresponding service. But there should be some easy way to set defaults and that I plan to add.

crashes discussed separately

The landscape view seems a bit cluttered compared to portrait.
Ideas for making more space are welcome!

I really like the view while navigating (driving). The tilt, rotation and especially the zoom (especially street names) are just perfect.
Maybe will be better in future, see below

In the Maps settings, what is the difference between OSM Scout Day and OSM Scout Day English?
It shows names in English instead of local language, if possible. Makes a major difference in Japan, for example.

I don't think most people associate the difference between day and night with switching the map provider. I certainly don't. I would expect it to be a quick switch in a very prominent place. Something you can do quickly and easily while driving at 120 km/h on a motorway.
Agreed, its just a current implementation. Situation is somewhat more different when you take navigation into account. See https://blog.mapbox.com/better-maps-...n-e2a41b9dc048 for example showing 2 map styles (one for planning navigation, one for navigating) for day and same for night. Right now, I just added zoom factor to switch between pre- and during navigation settings, but this can be refined further. Let's see if we get there.

The voice instructions told me to turn into A404, which it pronounced as "eigh-four-four" instead of "eigh-four-oh-four". This happened several times, so I was not hearing it wrong. Or maybe I was but consistently
It could be an issue with TTS engine, but can't help you there much. You could check what is spoken by running Pure Maps from terminal and then checking out what was said.

I have mentioned this before in the WhoGo thread, but still... I found "drive for 4/10 of a mile" a bit odd. I think I finally figured out why. The SI system is wonderful not because it uses meters and kilograms, but because it is decimal. In contrast, the imperial system never uses the decimal notation. A foot is 12 inches, not 10. A mile is 1760 yards (4 furlongs, 80 chains), not 1000.
Fractions work in a similar way: everything is in halves, thirds, quarters, eights and twelfths. Examples: 5/8", 2/3 mile... Cooking recipes mention 1/4 lb, 3/4 oz etc, unlike metric recipes with their 125 ml and 250 g (not 1/8 litre and 1/4 kg).
"4/10 of a mile" simply does not fit this paradigm. I realize this is too much work for such a minor cosmetic thing so I am just throwing it in as a curious observation, not a change request.
I think it corresponds to Valhalla's issue filed at https://github.com/valhalla/valhalla/issues/874 . Please add your examples there to make it happen. All we do on Pure Maps side is saying what the router told us to say

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: