View Single Post
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Eastern U.S.A.
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
There's the indication that you did indeed either speed-read or ignore some very critical posts here.

The general opposition was not to "ANY". That accusation is overly broad, and you insult many people here with such straw men.
You may characterize it differently, but in the aggregate, that was how it looked to me. The "let them eat cake and theme templates" position notwithstanding.

I see by your posts that you're adept with words. Thus my surprise reaction to some of your conclusions. The dialog did not lead up to what you allege.
There's no lack of articulate discourse with this group. There are clearly good folks here, with a wide range of expertise. I suppose that gave rise to my surprise at some of what I've seen.

As regards the dialog, that's an interesting belief, but not my experience.

What went on here was typical in such situations, and there was nothing wrong with ANY of the contributions since, as you very aptly assert, they are all opinions. No one was coerced, bullied or censured in this natural process; people expressed all sorts of ideas and for the most part contributed toward a productive dialog. And in the end, the screaming stopped, the feathers settled back down, and it looked to me like we had indeed arrived at a reasonable solution that took ALL inputs into account.
We arrived at a compromise, that does address some of the issues. Agreed.

I may be a little unusual in that I tend to ascribe serious ownership rights to people who take the time to operate useful discussion fora. I readily admit that while I think it's wonderful for them to solicit input, that in the end, they should be empowered to do what they see fit for the greatest good. When people begin suggesting that content not be included, I tend to become circumspect, as I think the market of ideas will decide in the end what the most useful venues are.

So while you think the process was silly (), I think coming in rudely at the end with your nonparticipatory analysis and unnecessarily restarting it in confrontational fashion is beyond silly. But hey-- that's just my opinion.
I believe you may be rendering your opinion on an analysis I didn't make. I never said that the process was silly. It would seem that the strawmen are denizens of a number of places.

I support and respect the desire for a collaborative process, the integrity of the collective code base, sane workloads for developers, and growing evangelism for new users.

I stand by my assessment that this thread demonstrates some classic examples of technical group process that may not always serve the original goals, even in the face of settled consensus.

P.S. Texrat, you're clearly insightful about some of these matters, how about addressing the more substantive aspects of my last post? I'm all for being criticized, but I think Krisse's message is a perfect example of the sort of discussion that should take place BEFORE people make decisions.

Last edited by pa28pilot; 2008-05-24 at 18:58.