View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
How far do you get, I assume debian starts to at least some extent?
The kernel you are using, did you compile it yourself with all the patches needed to make it work on N9?
That was installed from the repo. 4.9 should have the most needed patches
http://elinux.org/N950

The patches for display were not merged yet, though.
Ooh, I was not aware such a recent kernel has been fixed to work with N9(50)... Maybe I need to try that myself.

How's the init system in your kernel; is it expecting to use systemd or sysvinit? As I presume you are taking some arm debian disk image and integrating that with the elinux kernel?

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Easiest is to enable serial console and connect to N9's serial port with minicom; that is pretty much foolproof. Same way you will get kernel logs visible while the device is booting.
and without unscrewing the device? I'm a little afraid I'll break my N950.
I don't know about N950 (since I only ever was allowed once to hold @eekkelund's device in my hands for about a minute ) but in N9 the access to serial port is through the simtray, there is no need to open the device for that

Any other way to access the device requires you to have a daemon running in it, which basically means your userland needs to start.
For debugging init problems this is not the optimal strategy

[OK, yes there are other ways of course, you could build serial-emulation-for-usb in your kernel, or route kernel logging to audio port or modulate the status led with it... however you probably don't want to know about those methods]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: