View Single Post
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
We should be happy with at least kernel and security updates. And here and there some tweaking of the system and some new features (e.g. VPN).
Which is entirely fine by me. I'm already very happy with the phone as it is, and Jolla has promised to update the Android system, which could potentially solve the last few bugs in the few critical non-native apps I need (mostly banking 2-Factor stuff).

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I don't need many "apps" but some essentials like Spotify have been abandoned already.
I'm lucky, I tend to use youtube for my music streaming needs !
:-D

The swipe only, buttonless interface is supposed to be the very aspect that should attract the people tired of Android / iOS but I hate to admit that returning to Android felt like a big increase in productivity and I can't find any reason to recommend it except from it being European and not Google.
{...}
I find myself swiping around and having to re-think of what I needed to do again, instead of just go there without thinking and get it done.
It's funny because I have the exact opposite experience.
My first smartphone (until then I was using dumbphone + PDA combos) was Palm Pre running webOS.
webOS was touted as heavily gesture-oriented (and geared toward multi-tasking) though at the time I didn't understand why.
It's only afterward when I started playing with other people's phones that I understood the whole deal - I found iOS and Android very clunky.

I switched to Sailfish very naturally coming from one gesture- heavy OS to another.
(Though I'm still missing the "hand of cards" metaphor for handling multi-tabs. Sailfish has a nice "grid of cards approach" which handles multiple apps nicely, but only the window level, not the tab level).

Android and iOS still feel "clunky" to me.
(Maybe because I tend to jump multi-tasking around ?)

Combine it with the usual frustrations of using display only phones (copy paste struggles, typing inserting "." at every word instead of spaces..)
I totally see your pain with typing, like e.g. "."
I personally solved it by having a foldable bluetooth keyboard for more intense typing session (e.g.: when chatting a lot).

the disappearance of excellent swipe actions on minimized apps,
you can resurect the swipe actions using a patch.

(which in itself is one of the things I like back with PalmOS and webOS and now with Sailfish : community of hacker and tons of patching and customisation)

Add on top of this the "themes" showing up instead of the actions that would have deserved to be in front.
Also patchable to show quick-actions instead.

There is only facebook and that is about it, ok maybe drop box etc.. No flickr, no Skype, no alternatives to those that may people move from Skype , Google, etc.. to the more friendly alternatives.
Skype has mostly finished transitioning to their webapp-interface.
Meaning that plugins like SkypeWeb relying on the web API instead of some native library should be the way to go.
(I use this on my desktop).
Of course, somebody has ported it to Sailfish, though I haven't tested that one.
(and I think it doesn't support voice/video calling yet).

Regarding alternative:
telegram, openwhisper, matix, facebook and (most importantly in my professionnal setting) slack have all (separated, non-integrated) native apps on Sailfish.

(But saddly not integrated into a single messaging interface, due to each network having their own weird peculiarities).

WhatsApp is about the only network currently not working as native app on Sailfish, mostly due to the devs being extremely aggressive against 3rd party clients.

And if you need the original, android applications work too : Skype Lite works including voice calls (and has a slightly lower foot print than Skype classic), Facebook Messenger works too (and also has a Lite alternative), same for WhatsApp.

(Wire *has actually* been reported to work on the 4.4 kitkat compatibility layer that comes with Sailfish X, but I don't use that)

Jolla fails to motivate possible partners to work together on integrating their service and make one ellegant smaprthone OS to attract everyone who has no affiliation to Android.
And saddly it's going to take some time until Sailfish is big enough for partners to consider worthwhile to put effort into native Sailfish apps.
For now we have to rely on community efforts, and thus native support relies on :
- the service having publicly documented APIs, or at least not actively throwing lawyers at any attempt to reverse engineer (WhatsApp, I'm looking at you !)
- community devs having an interest into developing the app.

No SIP integration. In a phone. How is this even possible? A phone is no longer about calling?
Saddly, yes, again. Appart from a few Sailfish X licenses sold here and there, most of the money that Jolla is getting comes from a couple of carriers that wants Sailfish on their flagphone.
i.e.: company that aren't interested into VoIP at all.
So Jolla doesn't receive any significant budget to develop VoIP.

So for now, VoIP is mostly a community effort, though that has already generated all the necessary backend bits (the sophia-sip and telepathy-rakia that you mention on the command-line).

Also, as some carrier are introducing "Wifi Call" (basically, official carrier-sanctioned SIP), interests might change and Jolla could receive more resources to help finish polishing this in the future.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post: