View Single Post
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
After a few weeks on the Sony Xperia X, I concluded the following (warning, a lot of repeating of old comments):

If I had no other phone I would be happy with Sailfish X + Xperia X combo.
Camera quality is good enough and colour makes up for the lack of sharpness.
Post treatment will get you a lot of detail out of the pictures which normally Sony software would do for you.

The display of the Sony Xperia is gorgeous,
the form factor of the phone excellent, the build quality is as good as it gets on modern phones (no glass back waiting to break and embarrass the owner on first wrong move).

The price / quality unbeaten (paid 80 Euro, thanks to the ever upgrade hunger of the Android crowd)

However, the OS is still setting it back though. I don't need many "apps" but some essentials like Spotify have been abandoned already.

The swipe only, buttonless interface is supposed to be the very aspect that should attract the people tired of Android / iOS but I hate to admit that returning to Android felt like a big increase in productivity and I can't find any reason to recommend it except from it being European and not Google.

While Sailfish may be a descendendent of Harmattan on the Nokia N9 and the most excellent Maemo OS on the N900, the current Sailfish version 2.0 does not have the intuitive feel both of the predecessors had.
I find myself swiping around and having to re-think of what I needed to do again, instead of just go there without thinking and get it done.
I am not digging into details, as I suppose after Intex adventure, 3.0 will fix the interface.

Previously only IOS could give me this feeling of getting lost. Combine it with the usual frustrations of using display only phones (copy paste struggles, typing inserting "." at every word instead of spaces..)

I also stop believing in this independent OS story.
It is clear that at some point a prospect licensing account told Jolla to make the Sailfish OS 2.0 this very way , if not no deal. That is the only way I can explain the lack of flow in the interface: itt has been Androidified since version 1.0..
The remorse timer button, the disappearance of excellent swipe actions on minimized apps, the not live aspect of minimized app icons turning them in fact in homepage shortcuts..etc.. Add on top of this the "themes" showing up instead of the actions that would have deserved to be in front.

Next to the superiour interface that is not there, the Jolla OS is inexplicably lacking the other aspect that could make it great to use:
Integration of key services. We are so far from the days where we could tick a few dots in a unified, clean inteface: online with Yahoo, offline with Skype, online with SIP... done!

There is only facebook and that is about it, ok maybe drop box etc.. No flickr, no Skype, no alternatives to those that may people move from Skype , Google, etc.. to the more friendly alternatives. Jolla fails to motivate possible partners to work together on integrating their service and make one ellegant smaprthone OS to attract everyone who has no affiliation to Android.
There are no sign of obvious telecom/ privacy / security partnerships as for example I can't even use the Swiss based Wire secure messenger due to outdated Android compatibility. Soon even the Discogs application will stop working on this.
No SIP integration. In a phone. How is this even possible? A phone is no longer about calling?
Yes, since many years it has been proven the feature is there righ for command prompt experiment users..
Ok enough said, I have to think about my blood pressure, it is not worth it after all thos years.
Time to sell that Jolla 1.
I suppose something positive to say is that the good people at Jolla thought about VPN functionality.
Looking out for the next version without high hopes because let's be frank, when all we look out of is upgrade of Android compatibility layer to run a secure phone call to at least 1 or 2 non nerd, non expert users, the future does look not too bright for the alternative Phone OS.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: