View Single Post
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Nemo progress on HP touchpad:
http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/11/...g-hp-touchpad/

Should there be a separate layout / theme for tablets in contrast with handset one?
Please please please... i'm so interested in having the full gstreamer etc. plugin set (especially container formats), full libpurple protocol sets, and so on instead of the crippled webOS functionality.

It's a mess trying to stream something other than MP4 when (for not so long) basically your sole choice is BHome(Pro) together with TouchPlayer, because as usual in the commercial mobile space every "app" is self-contained, while no one fixes the support for something in the OS / frameworks itself. That is, f.e. Kalemsoft Media player plays more formats than webOS' gstreamer integration provides, but of course only when you install their own streaming solution on the server which, of course, is available for Windows only. No one seems interested in fixing gstreamer-0.10 and i don't understand much of the code for where to hook into.

Originally Posted by gregoranderson View Post
WebOS itself is rather nice, and there's good solid community (Preware) in a similar style to Maemo (albeit maverick, as it's not as closely related to Palm, now HP), but the speed at which Cyanogen have been able to get Android 2.3 running on it (and it runs very well - they are humble in their description of "Alpha status"), plus the ability to chroot (Ubuntu runs nicely on it) makes it a great "toy".
<insert barf here>

No no no hell no. Maybe it was for the Pre etc., but IMHO not for the TouchPad! This community here (Maemo/Mer et al) is _much_ more competent than the one for webOS, not only for the technical background you have but especially because you guys seem to be much capable and WILLING to work with the community instead of trying to commercialize your half-baked self-contained "apps" in the stores, without caring for the OS and supporting open standards/interfaces/frameworks.

Most of the patches you'll get from PreWare are relatively simple Javacsript things, and no one seems to be interested to port the Pre stuff. Running Mojo programs in the "emulator" window is just.. meh. Changing uiRevision from '1' to '2' is not all; scenes need to have an "Back" button to etc. and even then the UI is just ugly scaled.

The OS itself doesn't even provide scrollbar / page indictor support, as far as i read...

Anyway, enough OT.

Technical Question: how is the installation procedure for Nemo on the TouchPad? (Just out of curiosity) I don't know about what kind of bootloader HP used etc.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2011-11-29 at 10:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: