View Single Post
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
If you want an OS that's not backed by a company "with their own agenda" (which, for every company, must be to make money), you have to write your own. Given what's already there and what Sailfish is built upon, that's not an impossible task. However, I've been following this market since the ill-fated OpenMoko and I see how difficult it still is. OpenMoko, OpenZaurus, Maemo, MeeGo, Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS, Moblin... So many failed projects.
Well at least Maemo an Ubuntu Touch (aka UBPorts) are still around and UBports made some big steps forward during the last months. It runs on quite a few devices now (running it on a Nexus 5) and their goal for the following months is releasing the new Xenial base with anbox - you can already test it (early alpha state though)
What the small team from ubports achieved in the last year is incredible and they implemented functionality the UT devs weren’t able for ages under the roof of the Ubuntu company ...

I’m running Sailfish (Jolla1) UBports (Nexus5) and Lineage (BQ X5) and they have all their pros and cons and under the hood they all need some Android stuff to run on top - so as long as there is the driver/hardware problem there can’t be a real fully open mobile OS

For now Sailfish is based on a company that wants make some money so they are selling licenses, for this some closed source components might be needed ...

UBports is a piece of software from geeks for geeks - at least the managed to get some financing through the patreons system

And Lineage took the ash from Cyanogen and kept a good community running - a brilliant approach to keep abandoned hardware running with up to date software and security patches - Cyanogen wanted to become more but struggled ...

... it has already been mentioned - it highly depends on you want and need ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post: