View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
so yeah ..clone an existing installation and turn it into a livecd distro.
it would naturally have everything you had in your computer and there wouldn't be any troubleshooting concerning making everything work together all happy-happy.

Also it means that you aren't confined to just UCK or a 'buntu based platform ...like so many "make-your-own-livecd" programs are based.
Well, I have to admit that I don't have any experience creating livecd distros (or any sort of distro) myself, so I'm kind of figuring this out as I go. (Also, I'm not an Ubuntu user myself; I mostly switch between Arch and Fedora distros for my personal stuff. It just seems like everybody uses Ubuntu, so that seemed like a good common distro.)

But yeah, my biggest worry is that a live-cd/-dvd/-usb/-etc has to work on a wide range of hardware to be successful. If I just clone my personal system, I can imagine it'd have trouble dealing with different CPUs, different amounts of available ram, different displays, etc. And how would it deal with the lack of a file system? Anyway, I can imagine a number of different issues a live-iso must deal with... More homework for me to do here.